MISSIONARY SISTERS OF THE
QUEEN OF THE APOSTLES

Co-Founders and their effort

Unfortunately Fr. Maria Bodewig's dream was not fulfilled in his life time, due to various reasons and circumstance. But the plan of God is marvelous and mysterious which is beyond the comprehension of human mind. This plan was carried on faithfully by his loyal and dedicated co-workers whom the society honors as co-founders. They are Fr. Paul Sonntag. Mother Xaveria and Cardinal Innitzer.(Vienna).

Cardinal Theodor Innitzer

CARDINAL THEODER INNITZER (1875 -1955)

Dr. Theodor Innitzer, one of the Professors of the Vienna University supported Paul Sonntag's undertaking. With his assistance Paul Sonntag could establish the new missionary association under the title 'Catholic Mission Work for India'.

In 1923 Cardinal Friedrich Gustav Piffl approved the establishment of the new Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of the 'Queen of the Apostles'.

Theodor Innitzer was appointed as the first Superior General of the male branch. For practical and administrational purpose in 1925, the male branch was separated from the female branch.

Fr Paul Sonntag SRA

Fr. Paul Sonntag SRA (1875 -1958)

Already in 1905 Fr. Bodewig sent a group of brothers to Vienna, with a prophetic word 'Your future is in Vienna'.

Fr. Paul Sonntag a former member of Fr. Bodewig's association came to Vienna in 1906 and zealously promoted the work of Fr. Bodewig's vision by publishing his writings and new information about India.

"In 1909 he published the mission magazine 'light and love' in view of promoting interest for the Indian mission.

Mother Xaveria SRA

Mother M.Xaveria Blas SRA, First Superior General

Mother Xaveria Blass was born on February 20, 1871 in Duisburg, Reineland, Germany. In 1890 she came to know of the Missionary Society founded by Fr. A.M. Bodewig and joined in his work. In the year 1895 she left with Fr Bodewig and other members for Mariaveld in Belgium. She was for some year in charge of a hospital the society had in Rome. In 1915 it was Mother Xaveria who accompanied Fr. A.M Bodewig to Rome where he went in hope of meeting the Holy Father, but where he died a day after his arrival.

During the First World War, Sr Xaveria and her fellow sisters offered to work as Nurses in the various military hospitals and camps set up for the wounded in Germany. At the close of the war she joined the Zanana Mission Association, then established in Vienna. This association had some years previously opened its first house in Germany at St. Blasien in the Black Forest; it was called "Bethany Home" and it cared for the sick and convalescent priests. Sr. Xaveria was appointed its superior. As soon as the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of the Queen of Apostles was canonically erected in Vienna, Sr Xaveria joined the first group of sisters to make their canonical novitiate in that city. After her First Profession in January 1925, she became the superior of the Hospital fo the Brothers of Mercy in Vienna, and later of the Hospital "Goldenes Kreuz".

When the present Mother House was acquired by the Congregation in 1928 Mother Xaveira was appointed Superior General, at first on a temporary basis. After her final vows in 1931, this appointment was confirmed. Mother Xaveria as one of the first members to join this missionary undertaking is considered Co - foundress.

Mother Xaveria was a soul of prayer. She spent many hours in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. To this she owed her great love for Christ and her burning desire to bring souls closer to Him. It was she who entered into negotiations with Dr Angelo Poli, the Bishop of Allahabad, to start work in His Diocese, in the hope of finally settling down at Benaras, which was at that time in the Diocese of Allahabad. When she visited India in 1935 the Congregation already had two institution in India i.e. Benaras and at Theresapur.

She held the office of the Superior General up to 1952. In the later years, when she became infirm she was greatly assisted by her dynamic vicar General Mother Antonia, who succeeded her as the 2nd Superior General. Even after her retirement she worked painstakingly on the constitutions. She spent her last years in St Joseph's Haus, Hallenberg, Germany.